As an educator in Alberta, I continue to follow the Teaching Quality Standard. I have outlined the eleven standards below, my beliefs surrounding them, and the ways that I strive to meet.
Teaching Quality Standard:
1. Teachers’ application of pedagogical knowledge, skills, and attributes is based in their ongoing analysis of contextual variables.
2. Teachers understand the legislated, moral, and ethical frameworks within which they work.
3. Teachers understand the subject disciplines they teach.
4. Teachers know there are many approaches to teaching and learning.
5.Teachers engage in a range of planning activities.
6. Teachers create and maintain environments that are conducive to student learning.
7.Teachers translate curriculum content and objectives into meaningful learning activities.
8. Teachers apply a variety of technologies to meet students’ learning needs.
9. Teachers gather and use information about students’ learning needs and progress.
10. Teachers establish and maintain partnerships among school, home, and community, and within their own schools.
11. Teachers are career-long learners.